Kathy Sabine Biography, Age, Husband, Net Worth, Salary, KUSA-9NEWS

Kathy Sabine Biography

Kathy Sabine is an American journalist who is best known as a meteorologist for the news channel named KUSA-9NEWS. She is also a regional Emmy award winner for her reporting skills that are usually full of sarcasm and some popular punch lines as well.

Kathy Sabine Age

Kathy was born in July 3 in Truckee, California and her year of birth is not known. Most probably she must be in her forties. She is a confidential person so there is not much information about her personal life.  There is no information on her parents and siblings. Kathy belongs to the white ethnicity and her nationality is American.

Kathy Sabine Height

She stands at a height of 5 feet 11 inches(1.80m) tall. She weighs around 58 kg.

Kathy Sabine Photo

Kathy Sabine Family

We have no details regarding her parents and siblings.

Kathy Sabine Husband | Kathy Sabine Children

Kathy Sabine is a married woman, she married Scott Crawford in 2005 and their marriage ceremony was held at Beaver Creek, Colorado. The couple is together since their marriage and she and her husband have already crossed a decade living together. They together have 2 children including a son pose and a daughter, and also two sons from Kathy’s husband previous marriage. They both are committed to the relationship and there no any rumors of their divorce or having any external affairs. They currently live in Colorado with their children.

Kathy Sabine Education

Kathy graduated from Mississippi State University. She also studied at the Metropolitan State University of Denver and California Polytechnic State University.

Kathy Sabine Career

Kathy Sabine started her career as a news reporter from the year 1993.

Kathy started her professional career by joining NBC as an affiliate after completing her graduation from Cal Poly State University, California in 1988. She also has a major degree in meteorology from Metropolitan State University, Denver. Kathy Sabine also attended Mississippi State University.

She has worked at NBC, ABC, Fox Network, during which she worked with news anchors like Bill O’Reilly, Bret Baier, and Martha MacCallum. In 1993, Kathy joined 9News and works as the Chief Meteorologist and lead forecaster, alongside Kevin Corke, on the 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10 p.m. news broadcasting Monday through Friday every week.

Later she became a Chief Meteorologist and with her hard work and great performance, she was also awarded Emmy Award. She has a great bonding with her co-worker, Kyle Clark.

Kathy Sabine also writes daily weather forecast on 9News.com and writes for the Fort Collins Coloradoan newspaper.

Kathy Sabine Net Worth And Salary

With Kathy’s amazing performance, her net worth is estimated to be $40 million and her salary is $3.5 million.

Kathy Sabine Interview

9News’s Kathy Sabine Reflects on 25 Years on Denver TV, Uncertain Future

Westword: I understand that you’re originally from Truckee, California.

Kathy Sabine: Most people don’t know where Truckee is, so I just tell them I’m from Tahoe. And they say, “Oh, that’s so cool.”

I grew up on Donner Summit. You probably remember the story in history class about the Donner party. There was cannibalism and the wagon train stuck in the snow. Yep, I grew up right up there, where all of that wonderful history happened. I went to a very small school. The elementary school up on Donner Pass was really two rooms for five grades. Each grade was a row of desks. Literally, one row was first grade. My high school graduating class was, like, a hundred kids. It was a very small school.

My parents were involved with summer camp lodges that were affiliated with the Sierra Club. And they were also owners of a local ski hill, sort of a spring-skiing hill. So I grew up right up against a Bureau of Land Management forest. Hiking, skiing, camping. I was very big into the outdoors and nature and the mountains. I grew up in the mountains, which I think is why the appeal of living in Colorado was so big for me.

How young were you when you started skiing?

My dad taught us when we were about two. We would get off the school bus and go skiing. I used to race, and my dad was head of the ski school for a while at Soda Springs. He then became part owner of the ski hill, so skiing and racing were a big part of my childhood. And Colorado, in a lot of ways, is so similar to growing up near Tahoe, with the mountains and the skiing so close and all of the wonderful outdoor activities.

Is the weather there similar to Denver’s?

Truckee’s often the coldest station in the nation. It’s often very cold. We get a lot of snow up on Donner Summit, and in a good El Niño year, we’d get thirty feet of snow. So the snow scenarios are very similar to what you might find in a Crested Butte or a Breckenridge, something like that. But coming here and learning about severe weather — tornadoes and hail and the wind storms and the flooding — that was all new for me. We didn’t really have the weather extremes like we have here in Colorado. That was kind of an adventure, learning about that.

With that amount of snowfall in Truckee, could you be snowed in for days at a time?

Absolutely. Sometimes my dad would have to tunnel out the bottom story of our house. We’d go out the top windows sometimes because the snow would be so high. We’d have to wait for the school bus next to these big, giant snow piles. Snow and winter were a very big part of my early childhood, that’s for sure.

I understand that weather wasn’t your early interest in terms of a possible career. Instead, you were more interested in animals, and particularly horses. Is that correct?

That is correct. I am the oldest of three daughters, and I was very shy and very much a tomboy. My middle sister was the pretty, smart, popular one, and I was climbing trees and hiking and riding horses. Most of my best friends growing up were animals. I was very drawn to them, and they were drawn to me. I would take in rescue animals, strays. I would dog-sit, cat-sit, horse-sit. I would exercise horses in the summer for people. I would sleep outside in the summer with the animals. I just felt very at home with them and very connected to them.

Did you compete in rodeos as well?

Yes. I had horses growing up, and I used to compete on a small scale with 4-H. And we had a horseman’s association. I was president of the junior division. So I would take part in the small-time rodeos, the Gymkhanaevents: pole-bending and the keyhole race and some of these other fun events. That was a big part of my childhood, as well.

I was a rodeo queen when I was in high school — queen of the Tahoe-Truckee rodeo. I think I was about fourteen. You’d have to sell tickets to the rodeo and there was a horsemanship competition and things like that.

Given your participation in ski racing and rodeos, do you consider yourself to be a competitive person?

I would consider myself a competitive person, although taking part in the events is probably the most fulfilling part of it — the friendships you make, the connections you make, the things you learn. But I did learn through ski racing and barrel racing that I do have a competitive nature. I do like to win, and in my current career, that’s served me well [laughs].

But my original plan was to be Dr. Doolittle — to live in the woods with all my creatures and be some type of a veterinarian. I was the first person in my family to go to college and pay my own way through.

Was that your focus when you first enrolled at Cal-Poly?

Exactly. I was enrolled in veterinary science and animal science, and that was my intent, absolutely. I was accepted at UC Davis and Fresno State and Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, and I chose Cal Poly simply because, growing up in the mountains in a very small town, I thought living in a bigger city near the ocean would be a brand-new life and experience for me, and it was.

While you were in college, you also did some modeling, I understand, but you didn’t really pursue it as a career. Why wasn’t that of interest to you?

Well, I was paying my own way through college, and I’d been working since I was eleven or twelve to buy my own horse, to buy clothes for school. We weren’t a family of a lot of means. I literally grew up in a cabin in the woods, so I worked really hard to get scholarships, work-study programs, grants, things like that, to get to college. When I got there, I had a bike and a horse. I had no car.

You took a horse to college?

[Laughs.] Yeah, I did. I took my horse. I couldn’t afford a car, so I rode my bike to the jobs and I rode my horse for fun on the weekends. I had friends who had stables, and they were kind enough to board my horse there. I’d do work in exchange for food for my horse — hay — and to pay for boarding. I would clean out the horse stalls.

My horse was my best friend. I started saving for him when I was eleven. Even though my dad came from a ranching family in Washington and had the horse gene, my parents thought I was silly to want a horse. But I started babysitting and saved up to buy him with my own money. I had him for a very long time, and when I went to school, he had to come with me.

What was his name?

Laddie, for Aladdin. He was half quarter horse, half Arabian. The quarter-horse part made him an amazing barrel horse, and the Arabian part of him made him a wonderful endurance horse at altitude. He could just go and go and go.

In the meantime, I was taking a full load in college, 22 credits, and I was working two jobs. I had worked very hard to get there, so some of the jobs I did to pay my way through school included waiting tables, cleaning houses, exercising animals, dog-sitting and the like. And on top of that, I was also approached to do some modeling work. I’m five-eleven, so I’m tall, and I was very thin back in the day [laughs]. So I was approached to do some different things for a local college agency. I was in Bicycling magazine. I did modeling jobs for a number of products. I was in the Women of Cal Poly calendar.

Then a girlfriend and I were approached by a modeling agent out of New York to leave college and go to New York and sign a modeling contract. It was funny, because she was beautiful: long, blond hair. She was the beautiful one. I was more of the girl-next-door type. I think that’s more of my appeal. I certainly don’t think of myself as beautiful.

Her boyfriend at the time got wind of this and proposed on the spot, so she didn’t go. He gave her a huge rock! And I was smack-dab in the middle of my college career and feeling really good, and I felt to give up the scholarship money, the grant money, to stop school and have this adventure in New York with no guarantees… . Everybody said it would be really hard come back to school and launch back in again, and I would’ve lost all that money.

I struggled with it for a while, because it would have been an amazing adventure. But I really wanted to be a veterinarian, and I really wanted to be known for being smart and making a difference and helping animals and working in research, maybe, and creating something new. I was all for trying to make my mark that way, so I didn’t go, and I’ve never regretted it.

How did you wind up getting involved in journalism?

After I’d been in school for a few years, I realized that to become a veterinarian, I couldn’t do it in four years. It’s more like eight or nine years. Doing the math, I couldn’t afford eight or nine years of school. I started realizing I needed to get out and get a job and support myself and start making a life for myself. So I sat down with my adviser and said, “What should I do?” We assessed my strengths and my weaknesses, and I love to write. That’s ultimately why I got into journalism and television news: my love of writing. But I also love speech and communication, so my adviser said, “You’d really be a great English teacher.” But while it’s a wonderful and respectable profession, I didn’t see myself in that role. Then she said, “What about journalism?” And I thought journalism would be amazing. But then it was a question of whether it would be print or broadcast.

I’d already done some modeling work. I wasn’t afraid of the camera. And I thought there was probably some decent money to be made on the television side. Print journalism, you have days to write a story. On TV, you’ve got to turn it that day. One and done; there are no do-overs. It’s live, and that sounded exciting to me. But I didn’t know very much about it, so I took a job in production at KSBY in San Luis Obispo, the NBC station.

At KSBY, I worked behind the scenes. I worked the camera, the audio board, Chyron operator, technical director, all those behind-the-scenes jobs. Now, my boss was married to the weather lady, Sharon Graves. There weren’t many women meteorologists, or chief meteorologists, back in the ’80s. It was a pretty male-dominated field back then. But I became pretty good friends with her. She loved horses and didn’t know how to ride, so I took her riding and taught her horses and kind of schooled her on the equestrian side of things, and she taught me about weather. I was terribly interested in it and found that I kind of had a knack for it.

We were sitting around one weekend and she said, “It’s California. They read the weather here on the weekends. You should audition to do weekend weather here.” And I was like, “That would be fun.” So I stayed after work every night. I would set up the camera with the chroma key on and pretend I was whoever the popular weather person was back in the day. I’d just practice and keep making tapes and putting them on the news director’s desk. I think I just badgered him to death. He probably just wanted me to go away, but he gave me a chance. And when he saw me, he was like, “God, you can actually do this.” And I said, “Yeah, I can do this.”

That’s kind of how I started on television. I got on the air at the station.

I met my husband at 22. He was in college as well. Back in the day, that’s when you got married — at 22 [laughs]. That’s when I got married — right out of college. My husband had a real job, quote-unquote, with benefits and a car and a salary, and I was flipping pizzas during the week and doing weekend weather and making $16,000 a year. So when he got a promotion, I had to quit my job and move with him. That happened four times. I went from the NBC in San Luis Opispo to the ABC, KEYT, in Santa Barbara. I went to the Fox in Salinas-Monterey, and the ABC in San Jose, California. And along the way, I had two children very young, as well.

Usually, when people in TV news move from station to station, they’re trying to jump to bigger and bigger markets each time. But it sounds as if you were making parallel moves because of your family situation.

That’s exactly right. I would get a coveted television job, and anytime they asked me to do anything, I would do it. I was a reporter, I was an anchor, I was a producer. I never said no. I wanted to learn everything and just be a sponge. I found out I’m a good writer and a good reporter, but I don’t love it. I found I was always in morning meetings asking for wild-animal stories. I did not enjoy covering fires and accidents and talking to people in times of tragedy. I found that weather suited my personality. It was important information and a generally positive topic — and everybody could talk to you about the weather. So that became my primary position. But I tried everything.

When I was in Santa Barbara, I probably would have stayed forever. It was a station up on a hill, and we were still on typewriters and using satellite feeds. Kenny Loggins lived up the hill. Do you remember Kenny Loggins? He would come down to the Children’s Miracle Network telethon. It was such a beautiful place. But that was where an agent spotted me.

Ken Lindner is one of the biggest agents in the world. He’s based out of L.A., and he has scouts that go around the country, and one of his scouts saw me and contacted me and said, “We want to represent you.” And I said, “Well, I don’t really need to pay you guys to represent me. I was able to get four jobs on my own just fine.” And she said, “No, no, you could go so much bigger. You can go so much further.”

Here’s me with my limited modeling experience: When she said “agent,” I was picturing some crazy guy with a hairy chest and gold chains and a cigar. I was like, “No, thank you.” But she said, “We’ll fly you to L.A. You need to meet Kenny.” He was representing all the big names back in the day, all the network anchors. So I went there and signed with Ken Lindner in 1992 or 1993.

What you did was, you gave them tape of your work and then they put a reel together and they marketed you. They could get into these stations where you might not get a call back or might not have the right connections; they could get right in. And within two weeks, I had a job offer from the Weather Channel. The number-one station in Dallas was interested, too, and also KUSA in Denver.

Now, I had always pictured me doing some of my schoolwork in Boulder or living in Colorado at some point. So I didn’t go to the Weather Channel. As much of a cowgirl as I am, Dallas didn’t sound interesting. It had to be Colorado. They flew me out, and Mike Nelson was the chief meteorologist back then — he’s probably the best meteorologist I’ve ever seen. He and Dave Lougee — who’s the president of our company, Tegna, now, but back then, he was the news director at KUSA — they interviewed me. Apparently there were 1,000 tapes, but they picked me.

I had been working in a market that was number 120, maybe. So I made something like a 100-market jump by coming here. That’s a big deal!

Did you know right away when you toured the station and spoke to the staff that you were in the big leagues?

Oh, my God, yes. I had just had my second child, so I had a three-year old and a baby, and they were like, “We want to hire you.” All of a sudden, my husband had to quit his job and move with me, because I was the one with a real job and a real salary. KUSA had an amazing reputation. They’re known across the lower 48, to be sure. What an honor to even be considered. I was without words. It was huge. Huge.

What were the main challenges here when it came to the actual forecasting? And did anything about Denver weather catch you by surprise?

I was at the Burnsley Hotel — they put me up in the Burnsley until my family came out — and I remember looking out over the balcony at some of the mammatus clouds and the cumulonimbus clouds, and I’d never seen clouds like those in my life. And the hail, and the lightning. I thought, “You are not in Kansas anymore.”

This was the real deal, and I had a lot to learn. But lucky for me, I had the best teachers. Mike Nelson really took me under his wing and taught me so much about weather in Colorado. He was just amazing. I was used to snow and cold and wind, but tornadoes and hail and lightning and some of the other stuff that happens here: It was the most beautiful and the most terrifying thing I’d ever seen in my life.

I started doing weekend weather. This was back when Kim Christiansen was the weekend anchor and Tom Green was the weekend sports guy. So the three of us, when I started, worked together 25 years ago on the weekends, and now here we are, Monday through Friday on the 4 and the 5. But I was also reporting three days a week and was also the number-one storm chaser. Every day I would go out and chase storms, and one day, I got what I considered to be lucky. I went out with one of the best photojournalists in the country, Eric Kehe, who was at 9News forever. He and I came across two tornadoes. The “twister sisters,” we called them. It was a 22-hour day. I worked the morning news, I went live in the afternoon, turned a package for the late news. I won an Emmy. We were on the Weather Channel. We were in the Weather Channel calendar.

I’d only been at 9News for a year when that happened. And after that, management sat me down and said, “Okay, we need to send you back to school to get a second degree in meteorology. Because you’re the real deal. You’re going to have a long-term career. We believe in you. You’re here, but you have a degree in animal science… .” [Laughs.] That makes me really popular around Stock Show time, can I just say. When I get out there with the ag stuff, it makes me very popular!

My minor was in journalism, but they were like, “You’re in Denver, Colorado, at KUSA, a number 18 market. So we want to send you back to school to get your second degree.” And they did. I did my coursework at Metro State and online at Mississippi State University, and that has served me very well, having that extra science. I have two Bachelor of Science degrees.

What was it like going through that education process after you’d already spent years forecasting the weather on the air? Did it suddenly beef up what you were doing in a way you might not have been able to predict?

Absolutely. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. You have a full-time big job with two small children under the age of five, and you’re taking tests at one o’clock in the morning and going to school during your lunch break and at night. It was really hard, but it was essential. And I think as a woman back in the day, to be taken seriously, you didn’t need just a certificate from online. You needed a four-year college degree. You needed that piece of paper that said you were a scientist. I wasn’t allowed to be called a meteorologist back then until the American Meteorological Society or the National Weather Association and these organizations said I was. Nowadays, people can claim the title fairly easily. A lot of people can claim they’re meteorologists without the degree and without a lot of the course work. But back in the early to mid-’90s, I had to get a letter from these organizations sent to management, and then they gave me that title on the air.

When I eventually got promoted to the chief meteorologist position back in, I think, 2004 or 2005, I was one of the first women chief meteorologists in the West. It was kind of a big deal. It was a very male-dominated field, so that was a huge accomplishment and feather in my cap to have gotten to that point.

Have you felt 9News has had less of a glass ceiling than other stations around the country? And do you think Patti Dennis, who was the news director at 9News for so long, was one of the reasons for that?

Yes, I do believe Patti was integral for that. But the general manager at the time, Roger Ogden, was the one who saw something in me. He was the one who really supported me, guided me, made the contacts with the Todayshow that got me on as Al Roker’s fill-in and working under Janice Huff. I went to New York something like thirty times over five or ten years. He was the one I really thought saw something in me and believed in me and made this happen. Patti was, of course, integral as well, working under Roger in the news director role. But he was the one I felt just believed in me and gave me that support. And then having Patti in the news director role: There weren’t a lot of women news directors, or women in leadership positions at TV stations back in the day. So she was a wonderful role model and inspiration to so many of us for what we could attain.

Did you see that across the station as well — that women were getting a chance to do jobs at 9News that might not have been available to them at other stations across the country, during the early days?

Absolutely. They were very forward-thinking, very supportive of women. It was: Are you capable? Are you knowledgeable? Are you community-minded? Are you a good representative of the brand of KUSA? And if you were that person for them, they absolutely got behind you. If you were under the magic umbrella of Channel 9, there really wasn’t anything you couldn’t do.

Source: westword.com