Sela Ward Biography
Sela Ward (Sela Ann Ward) is an American actress, author and producer born on July 11, 1956 in Meridian, Mississippi. She is best known for her role as Teddy Reed in the Tv series Sisters which earned her an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series.
Ward attended the University of Alabama, where she was Homecoming Queen, a Crimson Tide cheerleader, and joined Chi Omega sorority. She double-majored in fine art and advertising. Ward began modelling to supplement her income while working in New York City as a storyboard artist for multimedia presentations. She was recruited by the Wilhelmina agency and was soon featured in television commercials promoting Maybelline cosmetics.
Sela Ward Age
Sela is 62 years old as of 2018; she was born on 11 July 1956.
Sela Ward Parents
Sela was born to Annie Kate and Granberry Holland Ward, Jr. Her mother Annie, died in 2002 while battling ovarian cancer while her father Granberry, a retired engineer, died of complications following surgery at age 85 in January 2009.
Sela Ward Siblings
Sela Ward SiblingsWard has three siblings; a sister, Jenna, and two brothers, Brock and Granberry Holland Ward III.
Sela Ward Husband
Ward married her husband Howard Elliott Sherman on May 23, 1992. Howard is an entrepreneur and venture capitalist. He has an economics degree from Claremont McKenna College. Sherman together with Sela founded Hope Village for Children, which helps abused, neglected or abandoned children.
In February 2018 he announced that he was running as a Democrat for a U.S. Senate seat in Mississippi. Howard during an interview revealed that his quest for politics began in the early 1990s, when he was 33 years old. At the time he asked Ward about her opinion on his run for politics but she was not having it.
“She says, ‘Are you doing this for your ego or are you doing this because you want to enact change?’ I’m 33. I’m like, ‘I don’t know; 20 percent ego, 80 percent change.’ Ego’s in there. I’m a male. Most males have some amount of ego. “I was falling madly in love with her, and she said, ‘Well, I’m the wrong woman for you.’”
At the time Sherman and Sela had been dating for a few months after they met on a blind date. Sherman’s relationship was more important to him than politics.
Sela Ward Children
Sela together with her husband has two children; a son, Austin Ward Sherman (born May 13, 1994), and a daughter, Anabella Raye Sherman (born May 30, 1998).
Sela Ward Net Worth
Sela has an estimated net worth of $5 million.
Sela Ward Modelling
After graduating Sela moved to New York to work for an advertising agency. One of her friends suggested she try modelling as she was tall. She was recruited by the Wilhelmina agency and was soon featured in television commercials promoting Maybelline cosmetics.
Sela Ward Acting
Ward moved to California and got her first TV role in Emerald Point N.A.S. (1983). She got her break in the film The Man Who Loved Women (1983). In 1991 she was cast as the bohemian alcoholic Teddy Reed on Sisters, which earned her first Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series in 1994.
She won a CableACE Award for her portrayal of the late television journalist Jessica Savitch in the 1995 TV movie Almost Golden: The Jessica Savitch Story.
In 1999 Ward succeeded Candice Bergen as a commercial spokesperson for Sprint’s long-distance telephone service until 2002.
Sela Ward Movies and TV Shows
Sela Ward Movies
- 2016: Independence Day: Resurgence as President Elizabeth Lanford
- 2014: Gone Girl as Sharon Schieber
- 2009: The Stepfather as Susan Harding
- 2006: The Guardian as Helen Randall
- 2004: Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights as Jeannie Miller
- 2004: The Day After Tomorrow as Dr. Lucy Hall
- 2002: The Badge as Carla Hardwick
- 1999: Runaway Bride as Pretty Woman in Bar
- 1998: 54 as Billie Auster
- 1996: My Fellow Americans as Kaye Griffin
- 1993: The Fugitive as Helen Kimble
- 1992: Double Jeopardy as Karen Hart
- 1991: Child of Darkness, Child of Light as Sister Anne
- 1989: The Haunting of Sarah Hardy as Sarah Hardy
- 1987: Hello Again as Kim Lacey
- 1987: Steele Justice as Tracy
- 1986: Nothing in Common Cheryl as Ann Wayne
- 1985: Rustlers’ Rhapsody as Colonel’s Daughter
- 1983: The Man Who Loved Women as Janet Wainwright
Sela Ward TV Shows
- 2018 – Present: FBI as Dana Mosier
- 2018: Westworld as Juliet
- 2016–17: Graves as Margaret Graves
- 2010–13: CSI: NY as Jo Danville
- 2005–12: House as Stacy Warner
- 2004: Suburban Madness as Bobbi Bacha
- 2000: Catch a Falling Star as Sydney Clark
- 1999–2002: Once and Again as Lily Manning
- 1999: The New Batman Adventures as Page Monroe/Calendar Girl
- 1997: Frasier as Kelly Easterbrook
- 1997: Stories of Courage: Two Women as Marie-Rose Gineste
- 1995: Almost Golden: The Jessica Savitch Story as Jessica Savitch
- 1991–96: Sisters as Teddy Ree
- 1990: Rainbow Drive as Laura Demming
- 1987: Night Court as Heather
- 1986: Hotel as Isabel Atwood
- 1986: L.A. Law as Lynette Pierce
- 1985: I Had Three Wives as Emily
- 1983–84: Emerald Point N.A.S. as Hilary Adams
Sela Ward House
Sela Ward and her husband Howard Sherman, sold their eight-acre Bel Air home for $39.995million to Jennifer Lopez.
The five-bedroom home features a 100-seat outdoor amphitheater, miniature golf course, man-made beach, massage room, 30-seat movie theater, an outdoor kitchen with a pizza oven and an infinity swimming pool.
Ward and Sherman bought the estate, which was originally built in the 1940s, in 2003 for $3.8million. They tore down much of the original structure and redeveloped the site using reclaimed wood from Mississippi and Louisiana in a nod to Ward’s southern roots.
In the extensive grounds, there is a greenhouse off the kitchen that houses fruit trees, plus a one-bedroom guest cottage, vineyard, covered footbridge leading to a gazebo with an outdoor fire pit, and a man-made pond.
Online Film & Television Association